Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 6, 2011

The little book of Hindu deities


A couple of months ago I picked up something called “The Little Book of Hindu Deities: From the Goddess of Wealth to the Sacred Cow.” It is a perfect delight. The various members of the Hindu pantheon, peaceful and wrathful, are drawn in bright Hello Kitty style, the nice gods with big smiles, the mean gods with ferocious cartoon scowls. Some, like the wonderfully playful elephant-headed Ganesha who (very appropriately) opens the book sharing one of his sweets with a mouse, are very endearing. Others, like Indra and Mangala, are big-guy tough in a superhero way. They are all given their appropriate attributes: Siva is blue, Guru carries his rosary and wishing wand, Kali wears her necklace of skulls.

 

 

It's meant a little for children, especially the explanatory text, but it's for adults too: adults like me, who are enchanted by this whole spiritual world, crowded full of gods and spirits and demons. I don't believe in them, but I sort of wish I did. These gods feel benevolent and sweet, and far more approachable than – well, You-Know-Who.

 

 

Take Ganesha: he brings good luck and clears away obstacles, and he blesses the beginning of new enterprises. He is tolerant, and helpful, and kindly, and intelligent, and he has a sense of humor, and he likes sweets.

 

 

So maybe I'll give Ganesha a little something sweet tomorrow, even though I don't quite believe in him.

 

 

He looks like he might be willing to put up with me.


 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment