Total Pageviews

Monday, August 26, 2013

Bird's nest



There is a bird’s nest in the dogwood tree just outside our courtyard door.


I first noticed it not long ago, because all of a sudden there was a big puddle of birdsplat on our walkway, in front of our door. I looked up, and –


There it was!


Stupid mama bird. She built her nest no more than seven or eight feet off the ground, in the branches of that silly tree. Did she think her kids would be safe there? Some scheming badger or cat or raccoon will surely see it and pull it down sooner or later.


Then I looked up the other morning and saw this:





I hope these children live to see adulthood.


I hope they don’t die of the heat.


I hope their mamma brings them something.


I hope they learn to fly.


(Postscript: a few days after I took the above photo, the kids weren’t there anymore. Either they’ve been eaten by a predator, or they’ve flown away.


(I hope it’s the latter.)


No comments:

Post a Comment