Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Botanizing



In Tove Jansson’s Moomin books (which you should read, if you haven’t), there’s a character – a Hemulen, if that means anything to you – who collects stamps. He finally collects all of the stamps in the entire world. He despairs, because now his life has no purpose anymore. But then he realizes: he can start collecting plants instead! His life has meaning again!


I love plants. I don’t have a garden, which means I subsist on a few houseplants and a few office-grown things (which I’m very proud of, as they’ve grown extraordinarily). So, when I walk back and forth to work, I examine the gardens and yards and fields I pass by, and I identify the plants I know, and I puzzle over the ones I don’t know.


The one above, for example. What is it? Yellow vetch? Alfalfa?


Nope. I finally identified it. It’s Lotus corniculatus: bird’s-foot trefoil.


I walk by a field full of it every morning on my way to work. First I noticed them out of the corner of my eye, thinking I knew what they were. Then I took a closer look, and realized I wasn’t so sure.


I checked the leaves the other day, and now I’m sure. It’s L. corniculatus, all right.


Any day upon which I identify a strange plant is a good day. It gives my life a tiny bit of added meaning.


I think I must be a Hemulen.


No comments:

Post a Comment