Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 3, 2013

The fragility of hardware




We love our devices, don’t we? Our laptops, and smartphones, and tablets. I have all three, and I marvel at how well they work.


Also I marvel at how pretty they are. Every evening I plug my iPhone in to charge, and it lies there pulsing with green light like a fragment of kryptonite, and I think: how lovely!


But how fragile also.


A few weeks ago, I was taking pictures in a field of weeds with my iPhone. I leaned down for a closeup of some Japanese knotweed, and –


Oops! Flip! Crash!


I’ve dropped my phone at least a dozen times before, and I’ve always been lucky: it always landed on a soft surface. This time, it landed on a jagged-edged paving stone.


The phone itself was unfazed. The glass covering, however, was shattered into a million pieces.


They can be fixed. Mine was an iPhone5, so the repair was not cheap. Luckily it was a business phone, so the company paid for the repair. But – still!


Since then, I’ve ordered a nice smothery cover for my phone, which will enfold it like a mother’s love.


Why do companies make beautiful slim little phones that slip right out of your hand like baby eels? Everyone buys a rubber/plastic guard for his/her phone. I hate that – why have a beautiful thing and disguise it? – and kept mine in a kind of holster. The holster didn’t protect it from that damned paving stone.


Apple / Samsung / everyone else: stop making things ultra-thin, if it means we have to buy ultra-thick covers to protect them.


It’s just ridiculous.



No comments:

Post a Comment