Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Moon globe



Sometime around 1969 or 1970, after the first few moon landings, I bought myself a moon globe at the Fred Meyer on Fourth Plain in Vancouver, Washington.


It was nicely detailed, like a world globe, with all the lunar seas and oceans and craters labeled. It stood on a simple acrylic frame.


I loved it, and I can’t even tell you why. It was so simple: gray and stark and beautiful. It stood next to the world globe I’d received for my seventh birthday – it was the same size, but seemed somehow more modern, with its jazzy clear-plastic stand.


I think it sang to me, a little bit, about the future, and outer space, and the universe, and how all the science-fiction books I’d ever read were going to come true, and that we were going to be living in outer space any time now.


I left my moon-globe in my mother’s house when I left home in 1978. After her death, I didn’t collect it; I put it aside, and I left it in a big box in my brother’s garage back in Washington state.


Maybe it’s still there, and maybe not. Maybe it’s covered with mold. Maybe it’s been thrown away.


Oh, I think about it sometimes. I miss that stupid globe. It was so lovely.


Recently I went online and bought a little Replogle “Wonder Globe” of the moon. It’s small – only six inches across – but it’s lovely too. It serves to remind me of my original moon globe, and it sings to me (very softly) of the same dreams I had when I was a kid.


Softly it sings: someday we’ll live among the stars.


Well, maybe not me.


But, kids, maybe you will. If you want to.


And now, Benny Goodman:






No comments:

Post a Comment