Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Cannas


I wrote recently about hostas, those garden-foliage favorites with dull purple flowers, and how dull they are.


Cannas are the opposite of hostas. They are the opposite of dull and ordinary. They are exciting and unusual.


I first saw them growing alongside my grandmother’s house in Selleck, Washington, back in the 1960s. I found them unbelievable: five-foot stalks with blazing crimson flowers, and gorgeous dark-green foliage.


They are huge and dramatic, and what’s the matter with a little drama in the summertime? They also seem to grow easily; I see them in sidewalk pots all over the city of Providence.


They always make me smile when I see them. Here, in Providence’s Wayland Square, merchants put them in pots, and they thrive.


They are the torches of summertime.


Rejoice in them.



No comments:

Post a Comment