Total Pageviews

Thursday, October 17, 2013

Check all the boxes that apply



Partner and I got our flu shots very early this season. We’re both older, and I’d just been diagnosed with cancer, so we agreed that it was probably a good idea for the two of us not to get the flu this autumn/winter.


CVS (and many other pharmacies) offer flu shots for free (for those of us lucky enough to have health insurance). They have a cute little kids’-tea-party table and chairs set up behind a screen in the back of the store; you fill out a form, check a few boxes, and then the pharmacist gives you a little tiny jab. (Usually it’s administered by Alexander, the handsome Russian pharmacist. We were disappointed this year because he wasn’t available, but the on-duty person was a lovely funny person, and she was almost as good as Alexander.)


The form was routine:


ARE YOU ALLERGIC TO LATEX? (No.)


ARE YOU ALLERGIC TO EGGS? (No.)


DO YOU HAVE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:


·        HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE? (Yes, a little.)
·        HIGH CHOLESTEROL? (Certainement pas.)
·        DIABETES? (No.)
·        KIDNEY DISEASE? (Are kidney stones the same thing? Maybe a little. Okay, then I’ll say ‘yes,’ and explain if necessary.)


And then:


DO YOU HAVE CANCER?


I stared at the question as if it were written in Hebrew. “What am I supposed to say?” I hissed to Partner.


He glanced over at my form. “I think the answer in your case is ‘Yes,’” he said calmly.


Reader, I cannot tell you how difficult it was for me to check that box.


It got a little easier after that. ARE YOU ON MEDICATION FOR CANCER? (Not yet.)


And I gulped and gave the form to the pharmacist, and she glanced at it and gave me my shot.


So – you see? That wasn’t so difficult.


It’s just the idea, that’s all. “Cancer” is a hard word to say out loud, especially when you're talking about yourself. But, believe it or not, it gets easier to say.


Cancer is just a stupid condition, after all, like high blood pressure and kidney stones. It’s treatable. In a few months, I’ll be better, I hope.


And I’ll be around next year to have another flu shot.


No comments:

Post a Comment