Total Pageviews

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

It only hurts when I laugh



It was a shock when, a few weeks ago, my radiologist told me that I needed to have a feeding tube installed. “You may or may not need it during your treatment,” he said, “but we prefer that you have it put in now, because you’ll be very weak later.”


So, terrific, hooray for the protocol. Feeding tube installed, 4 October 2013, approximately 9am.


Jesus, it’s big. I was expecting something small, like the nozzle on a can of WD-40. Instead, I now have something like a garden hose implanted two inches above my belly button.


Getting a hole punched in your belly hurts for a few days. I suppose that’s a silly thing to say, but (for whatever reason) I wasn’t really expecting it. I spent the weekend aching and cradling my belly, walking with a hunch, wondering how long this was going to go on, and assuming (of course) that it would be the rest of my life.


Over the last few days, the incision has mostly healed. I am now able to walk upright and almost normally. But some movements that involve the abdominal muscles – especially getting up from a seated or lying-down position – still give me a twinge.


Also: I can now burp without pain! Also, I can cough!


Sneezing is still a little painful, however.


Also laughing.


Oh this is the last straw. I can’t laugh? Whom do I need to talk to about this?


As James Thurber said when his blindness prevented him from seeing a beautiful girl embracing him: “Dear God, this goes just a little bit beyond a joke.”



No comments:

Post a Comment