Total Pageviews

Monday, October 21, 2013

Hair loss



My friends all know about my cancer now, and their reactions have been very diverse. But the most remarkable of all – which I got from two different people, mind you – was: “So will you be losing your hair?”


The first time, it caught me completely off-guard. The second time, I had an answer prepared: “Probably. I can put it in a box and ship it to you, if you’d like to have it.”


Honestly, though, I wonder if I brought it on myself. (The hair loss, not the cancer.) I have bragged more than once about the nice thick hair that Heaven granted me. Only this last spring, two of my (younger) colleagues were commiserating about the fact that they were balding. “I don’t have to worry about that,” I gloated to them. “I don’t have the gene for it. Look at what a nice thick handsome head of hair I have!”


They laughed dutifully, but they were both glowering at me.


And, you see, Karma is now paying me back.


The radiation therapy, being directed very specifically toward the tumor in my throat, will cause only a little hair loss – perhaps part of my beard and some of the hair on the back of my neck.


The chemotherapy, however, will probably take care of the rest. In the words of one website: “You will very likely wake up one morning with all of your hair on your pillow.”


Delightful.


But, as I keep telling people: isn’t that what hats are for?


And, thank goodness, I look charming in hats.



No comments:

Post a Comment