Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Reasons not to die



I am sick at the moment, but it’s not terminal – yet. It’s curable, according to my doctors. I just need to be faithful to my treatment schedule. And everyone says that you have to maintain a Positive Attitude.


For me, it comes down to this: I don’t want to die.


Here are some reasons why not:


·        I don’t want to (as I said). Isn’t that sufficient?
·        Mom keeps appearing to me in dreams in which we’re going on a long trip together. I loved Mom dearly, but she was not especially nice to travel with. If I can put this trip off, I will.
·        People need me in the office. They need me to pay the phone bill and order stupid irrelevant office supplies and listen to them complain.
·        My student employees need me. (Or rather, I need them. I need to tell them stories.  They pretend to be interested, but that’s okay by me.)
·        Most of all: I don’t want to leave Partner alone.


This is the most beautiful time of year in Rhode Island. It’s sunny but cool, and the colors are very full: the green of summer and the shades of autumn are all together at once.


I’m glad I get to see a New England autumn one more time.


I don’t mean to be morbid. But still: one has to be realistic.




(And many more after that, I hope.)


No comments:

Post a Comment