Total Pageviews

Friday, October 4, 2013

I am not George Bailey



A kind co-worker checked in on me recently, knowing about my recent diagnosis of cancer, and I told her that I was really overwhelmed by how kind people were being to me. “Well,” she said, “remember George Bailey.”


Hmph! I am not George Bailey.


I am not a nice person. I am sometimes kind, but wise also, like the offspring of a bunny rabbit and a cobra.


I want to be good to people, but not necessarily to everyone, and not necessarily all the time. And I have a vicious tendency to be nasty to people who are nasty to me.


George Bailey (aka Jimmy Stewart, the big sap in “It’s a Wonderful Life”) went through his life unaware that he was just acting perfectly toward people – kind, generous, etc., etc.


I have no such illusions.


I am often unkind. I am sometimes mean. I have done unforgivable things (meaning that I have done things to people who are dead and who can’t possibly forgive me for them). I’ve been unpleasant and angry. I’ve been rude (probably on a weekly basis).


Repeat: I am not George Bailey.


If I live through this thing, I think it means that Frank Capra didn’t know everything after all.


(And, in case you can’t tell, I can’t stand that stupid movie. Life is just more complicated than that.)



No comments:

Post a Comment