Total Pageviews

Monday, October 7, 2013

Something light


=

Since being diagnosed with an unpleasant medical condition, my attitudes have shifted subtly. In just a few weeks, yet!


I don’t think I need any philosophical lucubrations about life and death at the moment. I think what I need right now is some diversion.


So out the window with “Crime and Punishment” and the Book of Revelation.


I’m overdosing on the movies of the 1930s, especially the musicals. I’m currently watching “Love Me Tonight,” with Maurice Chevalier and Jeannette MacDonald, circa 1932. It’s well-written and cute, with some chirpy little songs.


If I wanted to be dark about it, I would point out that every single person in the cast is almost certainly dead by now: debonair Maurice and squeaky Jeannette, goofy Charles Butterworth, sardonic Charlie Ruggles, clever Myrna Loy.


But when I watch this cheery little film, they’re all as alive as can be, and having a wonderful time.




But the film is like new: cheerful and tuneful.


This is the medicine I really need.


To quote “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum”:


Nothing of gods, nothing of fate;
Weighty affairs will just have to wait.










No comments:

Post a Comment