Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 19, 2013

Shameless plug: artist Drew Green





I have been on Tumblr for a couple of years now. At first it seemed odd and pointless, and not really intended for someone like fifty-plus-year-old me.


Then I discovered Tumblr members and communities that were friendly to people like me.


And there I discovered Drew Green.


He is an Atlanta-based artist and illustrator. He has a number of personal projects, and he makes money in the meantime by doing commissions.


Here’s how it works: you give him some likenesses – like a photo – and tell him what you’d like. (There’s a fee involved, but it’s surprisingly small, considering the work he’s doing for you.)


His style is cartoonish, but in the best and most professional sense – like the classic Warner Brothers or Disney illustrators. Here’s one of my favorite examples of his work – a gay couple and their son at Disneyworld:







Isn’t that charming?


I kept seeing him post on Tumblr, and finally last spring I sent him a picture of Partner and me at the top level of the Eiffel Tower in Paris last October:




He returned to me, almost immediately, a sketch based on the photo. It was shockingly good. I asked for one small change, which he gladly made. A few weeks later, I received this image:







Both Partner and I are delighted with this. I love showing it to other people. My friend Troy said: “He really caught your sullen expression!” Another said: “I’ll be able to say I knew you before you became a cartoon character!”


Here’s some information on his work and his commissions. His rates are very reasonable, and he’s a very nice guy, and I love his work.


(I told you in the title this was a shameless plug.)



No comments:

Post a Comment